The National Library compiles and publishes the national bibliography of publications entered by legal deposit or acquired as a supplement.
What documents are listed?
- publications published and printed in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg;
- publications published abroad and relating to the Grand Duchy, its nationals or its inhabitants;
- publications created by Luxembourgish authors or authors linked to the Grand Duchy.
Not included are:
- advertising material without documentary interest;
- programmes of events without a feature article;
- works of ephemeral value, such as telephone directories, timetables, price lists and similar publications;
- publications published by European Union bodies established in Luxembourg and whose content does not specifically concern the Grand Duchy.
Bibliographic statistics per publication genre (1950 - 2018)
They include the titles of monographs and new titles of periodicals published and printed annually in Luxembourg and entered in the National Library by legal deposit or acquisition.
They do not include annual publications (official or company publications) such as yearbooks, reports, minutes, balance sheets etc. Application papers and dissertations/theses are not taken into consideration.
The statistics can be consulted on the portal of STATEC (Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques du Grand-duché de Luxembourg).
About the national bibliography
The first edition of the national bibliography was published in 1946 (for the reference period from 10 September 1944 to 31 December 1945). Thereafter, it was published annually until 2005 (reference year 2004), when the National Library stopped the publication of the paper version in favour of a digital version, which is accessible online and continuously updated.
The current national bibliography (1988-), which is accessible online, covers Luxembourgish publications that have entered the National Library since 1988 and allows works to be reserved. The references are classified thematically and you can browse through the different subjects or search by title, author, subject or keywords. These records are grouped by the year of publication of the titles to which they refer.
For technical reasons, the national bibliography is currently not accessible online. We are sorry for the inconvenience.