- 2-3 year contract, expected workload 20-30 hrs/week (negotiable)
- Status “Independent Service Provider” (not an employee position, see “Further information” below)
- Available: immediately
- Deadline: All applications received until 28th June 2020 included will be considered
Consortium Luxembourg is a department of the National Library of Luxembourg founded in 2006. It is the managing entity behind the digital libraries of the University of Luxembourg, public research centres such as LIST and LIH, ministries, public libraries and secondary schools. The National Library’s digital offer itself is available, including remote access, for free for the general public.
Consortium Luxembourg is uniquely placed in the national context to enable the transition to Open Access in cooperation with its consortial partners. The Service Provider’s task will be to define, adapt, test and deploy new workflows within the existing administrative framework to ensure a smooth integration of Open Access publishing into the consortial service offer.
The Service Provider’s person of contact will be the head of consortial services and its mission will notably entail to collaborate with the existing consortium team of four people (3.18 FTE), especially the current Metadata and statistics manager.
All tasks are remotely workable. Depending on the evolution of the pandemic and provision of service, the Service Provider’s mission may require to work from the National library’s brand-new building in Luxembourg city.
The Service Provider will need to demonstrate an ability to work in perfect coordination with our teams and be self-motivated while working in a multicultural and multilingual environment, most of the people the Service Provider will be working with in the course of its assignment being at least quadrilingual.
Context: In 2017 we started preparing for Open Access in the Consortium department. We added tools and processes to make the transition as data driven and automated as possible. Today, we are entering a new phase (2021-2023), as many consortial processes are affected by the new realities during the transition years. This affects financial, data, statistics and communication processes. The Service Provider will use existing data and statistics tools but also adapt these tools and take part in the implementation of new tools, pilot projects and integrations.
- Integration of workflows related to Open Access publications with the current (subscription) licence lifecycle. The context of this task are the existing administrative interfaces of the publishers and their future Open Access dashboards. The current consortial software tools are ConsortiaManager ERM; ExLibris Primo Central Index, SFX; OCLC EZProxy; Ebook Metadata Manager tool (local development) and Lean Library.
- Developing workflows to monitor transformational agreements efficiently with a focus on flexible cost allocation models between consortial partners (“Read” vs “Publish” costs). The context of this task are the existing processes of gathering, analysing and reporting of statistics about the national scientific publication output and its shift towards Open Access. The relationships between “Read” and “Publish” statistics such as cost, usage and citations will need to be defined. The current toolkit is: ezPAARSE software for article level usage statistics, Counter 4&5 reports, internal usage data and Kibana for analysis & visualisation. Current pilot projects are ChronosHub (with FNR.lu) and ConsortiaManager ROM (Research Output Manager).
- Active participation in consortial planning for staying on top of the Open Access transition relevant to the main responsibilities above.
- Continuous documentation of internal transformation processes.
- Communication and training tasks, both internal and external.
- Fluently bilingual: English a must, plus French, German or Luxembourgish
- Please use the categories of the Common European Framework for language skills: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages
- University diploma (preferably in library or information science, digital publishing or similar)
- Basic IT skills, capable understanding complex configurations, very good Excel skills
Note: The Service Provider is not required to do tasks such as server maintenance and updates or system configuration, those are handled by the IT Division of the BnL. You are required to be able to work closely with IT though.
- Additional languages, especially French, German and Luxembourgish.
- Professional experience in a comparable job or specialist studies in the field.
- Knowledge of statistical models and projections.
How to apply
- Please send your application by email, including a CV and motivation letter (not handwritten!) and any references you consider relevant to the head of personnel management (email@example.com) and in copy, the head of consortial services (firstname.lastname@example.org). Subject: “Candidature Consortium Luxembourg”.
- All applications received until 28th June 2020 included will be considered.
- Collective search engine of the bibnet.lu library network: www.a-z.lu
- Independent Service Provider specific requirements, see “self-employed intellectual worker“: http://www.guichet.public.lu/entreprises/en/creation-developpement/forme-juridique/entreprise-individuelle_societe-personnes/entreprise-individuelle/index.html